Saturday, September 18, 2010

Glenner from Co.

Once I get to the Rockies, I consider myself almost home. I was a couple hundred miles ahead of schedule. I had the time to visit one more old friend on the other side of Co in Paradox.
The ride thru Texas Creek in the Arkansas River canyon and on to Gunnison, then thru Montrose, Ridgeway and Naturita was beautiful as always. I pulled into Glenn's place at about 5 pm
That's about all the moto content to this edition of my report.
Here's the Paradox post office...or actually it's the Bedrock PO. Does this tell you anything about the size of Paradox......or why you don't know where it is. :rofl Probably only 60 miles from Moab.


This farmer Glenn of Paradox. I'm the other one....


Glenn deserves the utmost respect. I met him 35 yrs ago. He was a painting contractor for 20 years in Ca, but he'd come from Co to settle there after the Navy.
He got in on the real estate boom in Ca, and sold out for a fist full of fifties. Then he bought 160 acres in Paradox to grow hay.
That doesn't mean Glenner was rich and a gentleman rancher when he got back to Co. Glenn worked for everything that he's got., and he's still doing things that astound me.
So lets go thru what this one man show goes thru with the help of his Lovely wife, Enid.

Glenn took me out on a daily irrigation run with his '79 4X4 luv truck. It runs perfectly. That Luv truck was a Baja 1000 pre run truck soon after it was purchased from Chevy. Here's one of several irrigation lines.....


...and here's the large Barn that he built single handedly over the last year. More on that later.

Here's a series of pieces of equipment that he has bought used at auction somewhere or other over the last 15 years. He keeps them all running himself since any kind of service facility is at least 100 miles away in Grand Junction or Montrose.







Now back to his new barn. Here's an end view. Those roof pieces are about 20 foot each side. The material cam in 30 ft pieces which he cut to length. A bunch of work.


Now after last winters snow he finds that he needs overhang of about 10 feet on the front and the back.


So now as we speak Glenn is busy putting those 10 ft pieces back on that barn. With that in mind, Glenn walked into his small town bank and announced in a loud voice that, "Foresight is like foreskin and he didn't have any".

He also said that no one broke even a smiles. He ended up leaving the bank very red faced and is too embarrassed to go back. Enid gave him that wifie look of incredulity, when he told her, and said, "Why on earth would you say such a thing, Glenn?" :freaky :rofl

Anyway, Glenn and Enid greeted me like a good friend. I liked that. I got the grand tour of the place and after dinner We went to the sitting room to dredge up old memories, and I got to hear all about his recent trip to Alaska in his Mtr Home.


In the fore ground of the above pictures are some new parts for his restored '39 Plymouth Coupe...Hummm, or is that a Dodge.


He also keeps Enid's buick, his Dodge pickup, and his Jeep running.
I have no idea how he keeps all that he has going, all together. Along with Zim and Jason, Glenner is my hero.
Before I went to bed I managed to get Glenn signed up on Picasa Photos. The computer world is Glenner's short suit, but he's moving right along, and believe it or not they have DSL in Paradox....and even had it before Zim got it up there in Maine. :wink:
I got to bed at about 11:30.....damn, I had to be off early in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment